Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Friends of The Jefferson Library - February 12, 2011


 

The Senior Librarian, John Frank, at Jefferson Branch Library recently invited me to speak and read excerpts from my children’s book Portia’s Incredible Journey at a special event.
The library was recognizing the winners of their recent African American History Essay Contest. The contest was for students from 1st through 12th grade.  
The winning essays were read by film and television star CARL WEATHERS and --to the make it even more special--he handed out the awards. I've never seen so many proud and happy faces!
This ceremony meant so much to me because many years ago, I taught at Sixth Ave School.  The library is within walking distance to the school, and I would take my students there to check out books. For me, it was like coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment